F.A.Q.

Collars or Harnesses: What type of collar to use? I recommend using a harness. This puts the pressure of the pulling at the shoulders rather than the neck area. There are good collars like the halti head collar or the gentle leader. They also put the pressure at the shoulders but look like muzzles though. I like the Velcro harnesses that go under the shoulders and around rib cage.

Treats: What type of dog treats do we give our pets? I like the natural ones. They do love their bully sticks. We use the 6” size. When it is down to the last inch-better throw away so is not swallowed completely. Always wash hands after picking-up bones and treats since they carry natural bacteria. We never give rawhide or pig ears as a treat. Another good brand of treats are Natural Balance-they make several varieties which are all good. In the summer, take cookie sheet and line it with parchment paper. Take about a tablespoon of Greek plain yogurt and make little round balls about an inch apart from each other on the cookie sheet. Add about 1//2 teaspoon of peanut butter on top of the yogurt then dab a little more yogurt on top covering the peanut butter. Put the cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, remove and place in zip-lock bag for the easiest summer snack, which your doggie will love.

Toys: What are the best toys? We recommend offering several different textures and types of toys for your puppy to play with. Sometimes their favorite toy is a simple water bottle that you have just finished drinking. Remove the paper label, squeeze a little air out, and replace the top tightly. Once they start to break down the plastic bottle, just toss out and drink another one. While they are teething, offer them cold items, which will help sooth the swelling of the gums. Teething rings or even a frozen wet washcloth can help. Try not to let them chew on your toes or other body parts since you are now accepting this behavior.

Hazards around the House: What kinds of dangers are lurking around the house? Pets do not limit their strange eating habits to just dog food, they will ingest almost anything. Houseplants typically seem to be the most attractive.

TOXIC PLANTS: Aloe, Amaryllis, Asparagus Fern, Avocado, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Branching Ivy, Caladium, Calla Lily, Daffodil, Day Lily, Deadly Nightshade, Easter Lily, Elephant Ears, English Ivy, Gladiolas, Holly, Hyacinth, Hydrangea, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Macadamia Nut, Morning Glory,
Oleander, Onion, Rhododendron, Sago Palm, Tiger Lily, Tomato Plant, Tulip, and Yucca. Even apple seeds, cherry pits, grapes, and raisins can poison a pet.
Giving your pet a little peroxide will induce vomiting. Charcoal capsules are very good for absorbing the toxins. Help is available. The National Animal Poison Control Center, a division of the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, is only a phone call away every hour of every day of the week but at a cost. Center veterinarians and toxicologists have up-to-the minute information on toxicity levels. These specialists provide advice to animal owners and confer with vets about poison exposures.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, gather the following information and then call the NAPCC: they will need your name, address, and telephone number, the species, breed, age sex, and weight of each animal affected. They will need to know the substance the animal ingested if known, the package containing the substance if available, the time that has elapsed since ingestion, and the symptoms the animal is showing.

NAPCC telephone number is: 888-426-4435. There is a $50 COST per case. Have ready your VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express
OTHER BAD STUFF: Blue Green algae, Citronella candles, Chlorine, Cleaning products, Cocoa mulch, Compost, Fertilizers, Flea products, Insect Sprays, Mothballs, Plant bulbs, Toxic animals (ants, spiders, toads, lizards, snakes), Electrical Cords, Ice melting products, Batteries, Vitamins, Dental floss, and Items containing sugar free products.